Feb 22, 2016

Brooklyn Botanic Garden

99 times out of 100, when I leave the house I head either north or west. If west, I cut straight across Prospect Park. If north, I face the embarrassment of riches of choosing to go up the east side of the park, or straight up through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.


(Question: Why is it the New York Botanical and the Brooklyn Botanic? I never remember which is which, or why.)

I don't like going to cultural institutions once, for hours at a time. I prefer going to them briefly, multiple times. That way, they become mine. Both the park and garden I regard as my own back yard.


The garden is open year round, with free entry every Saturday from 10-12. And while there may be more flowers in the summer, I enjoy it just as much in the winter, when there's a good chance I'll have it entirely to myself.


That said... Every year at the end of April, they host the Sakura Matsuri (Cherry Blossom Festival). It's two days of food, arts, flowers, and huge crowds, a number of whom are done up in their anime cosplay best. I always swing by, but that's because I'm a member so I don't have to pay the extra entry fee or wait in line. If you just want to get a sense of the action, it might be enough to stroll by and see a few costumes on their way in. And the blossoms themselves are there other days, and more often than not aren't necessarily even peaking during the festival itself. The trees in different areas tend to go off at different times; the BBG site provides a map so you can see which ones are at which stage of openness.


And then there's the rose garden, which just seems to go on and on all summer. Fountains of roses. You have no idea how many close-up rose photos I've taken over the years. It's addictive. I can't go to the rose garden with anyone else because I will drive them nuts with stopping every two feet.


Usually, it's so nice strolling the grounds I don't even bother with the greenhouses. And anyway I am basically just trying to get from Point A to Point B. In the middle of winter though, a little detour into the desert (and tropical/warm temperate/aquatic conservatories) can be very pleasant.


MAP

RECIPE: Wild Rice with Fennel & Porcini, a tasty side I've busted out on more than one Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment