Jul 1, 2016

Recent Reads I

I am, after all, a librarian. Okay fine, an archivist, and I have almost nothing to do with actual books -- but I also have an hour-long commute. I read a lot.

Alexander Hamilton - Ron Chernow

Down to the wire with this one, as I had to return it to the library. But I made it.

Would I have ever in a million years picked this book up if not for the musical? Definitely not. Would I have enjoyed it as much without the songs running through my head? Possibly not; but I still would have thought it was good. Because it is: a damn good book.

I used to say that everything I knew about American history I knew from musicals (ask me anything about Assassins). Now that is slightly less true. Work.

Last Night, a Superhero Saved My Life - Liesa Mignogna

Hit and miss. The more personal the essay, the better. The more abstract (looking at you, Nail Gaiman (as spelled on the spine)), the worse -- or at least, more pointless.

They Do It with Mirrors - Agatha Chrystie

Knocking down approx. one Marple a week. This is the first time I figured out who it was before the end.

A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. LeGuin

A lot more boring than I'd expected. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say that some things aren't really meant for audio book export.

Schulz & Peanuts - David Michaelis

Solid bio, well illustrated.

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? - Lorrie Moore

Finding myself deeply, deeply over these two-girls-hanging-out-in-nostalgic-summers-or-whatever books.

Did not finish it. This sort of thing all starts to feel the same after a while. Two girls: one, at least, beautiful; one, at least, troubled; drinking; smoking; immature boys; possibly rape; bare legs and long hair; sweat; peanut butter; ice cream. Enough.

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen - Jacques Pépin

Turns out Jacques is just as engaging on the page as he is irl. Good on him. Also I'm generally not into baby photos, as a genre, but his is absolutely the best I've ever seen. Happy cooking!

Recipe: Spiced Dried Fruit Compote. Supposedly for blintzes, but I served it alongside the Christmas ham, and stirred into oatmeal for weeks afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment